Lilypie

Monday, July 4, 2005

Back To Work Again

I finally went back to work after 2 days of medical leave. Although it was just the weekend, I felt like I have been away for a long time. When I got to my desk, half of my stationery had disappeared, three-quarters of my files were gone (later I found out they were in my boss's room for review), the two documents I was proof-reading on Wednesday had been completed, the internet was down and I was suddenly swarmed by so many instruction memos that for a while, I had to get my orientation right on what was going on.

Has the local workforce become so fast-paced and competitive that employees have to feel guilty about being sick and had to be away? It is as if one cannot even fall ill without feeling guilt-ridden about the work left behind. This should not be the case. Nobody in the right mind will ever ask to be sick. What happened to kindness and compassion? Have these values been killed by the fast-paced environment? If one just happens to fall sick on a Monday or Friday, or after a public holiday or an overseas trip, will there be any compassion shown? Chances are others will gossip about the "convenient" timing the person chose to be sick, so as to have an extended weekend or holiday. I find it so ridiculous and hypocritical.

I just discovered that my office internet was not really down. Apparently, our IT department wanted to make the systems more secure, thus a software was installed to block all other websites except the ones we need to work on. Which means no more blogging, checking mails and instant messaging during office hours, even during lunch or when I stay late. That is sad actually since I still get an outpour of inspiration throughout the day but now I cannot keep my readers entertained in the day time anymore. :-( Now I have to resort to typing down all my ideas, mailing them to myself, and post them up only when I reach home. That is, if my home PC is not cranky again. What happened to the freedom in work place culture? I hate it when people screen what I do. I like to be left alone to do my work, then I can function properly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...