Lilypie

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Crossfire, Or How To Reject Someone You Don't Like

I am starting to hate myself. I woke up so late again. Today will be another day I am bumming around at home. This is not the way I like to lead my life, wasting productive time away. I am in dire need of something to do! I just spent two hours playing the piano, now my fingers are aching. I have sent out more resumes, but still no response. Sometimes it is so irritating to know that your degree seems useless, ie you are either over-qualified or under- qualified. Which leads me nowhere. :-(

My friend just posted a very insightful article on the NKF controversy. I agree with what he said about NKF also being an organisation, so the CEO has every right to be paid. He even inserted links to an online petition to remove the CEO. I, like him, chose not to sign the petition as I feel what he said is all true about NKF having more accountability instead of just focusing on Mr Durai's huge salary. But I guess from the public donor's point of view, there will be lots of outrage as they may think that the amount they have donated to help the needy are being misappropriated.

Anyway, the focus of this entry is on a new episode of Crossfire which I happened to come across. This time was on how best to reject a person. Interesting topic, considering my recent experiences. Of course I took a peek as I wanted to find out the various answers people can give, and to reflect on how I could have handled things better.

One lady said the best way to reject is in-your-face. As in just tell the person straight off that you are not interested. I tried that a few times, but to no avail. Some guys do not know the meaning of "not my type" and wanted to continue pursuing. They claimed they can be what I want them to be, but that is just what I do not want! I want guys who are gentlemanly and chivalrous but they failed the test if they continue pursuing. A real gentleman will take it at face value and leave you alone, just like the one I rejected yesterday.

Another lady said the best way to reject is to avoid. As in avoid talking to him, avoid meeting him, avoid anything to do with him. I am not sure how good an idea that is actually. I tried avoiding someone once as he came on a little too strong, but he continued coming on stronger. He called me several times a day, flooded me with messages, and constantly hounded me until I threatened to hand him over to the authorities if he did not stop all his nonsense. I absolutely cannot stand shallow guys.

So the conclusion? There is no best way to reject a person. I guess what I have been doing so far is pretty alright, as in tell the person directly and nicely that he is a great guy, but just not your type. If he is gentlemanly enough, I believe he will take it at face value, and both of you can still remain friends.

Now, I would really love to find out how a guy rejects a girl. Perhaps I can prepare myself better for things to come in the near future.

7 comments:

Christopher Trottier said...

How do I, as a guy, reject a girl? Basically, I realize I have to be a cold-hearted bastard, and I just get the job done.

shakespeareheroine said...

I guess sometimes one has to be cold-hearted isn't it? But sometimes I believe it's all for the best if you know things are not going to work out at all.

Anonymous_X said...

yup, i agree with Christopher. a simple No will do. stated as curtly as possible.

don't elaborate the reasons of rejection--as they're always easily countered.

and of coz, try not to use a you-are-a-great-girl-but-just-not-my-type kind of talk, as the girl will tend to feel more challenged to prove that the guy is wrong.

shakespeareheroine said...

Hmmm, does it apply to when a girl rejects a guy too? Just a simple 'No' will suffice?

Anonymous_X said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

sentosa said...

I can say 2 things:
1. Guys don't normally reject girls as cases of girls rejecting are much more often than otherwise.
2. Simple 'No' should be enough to reject guys. If he's mature enough, he'll appreciate your decision. If he can't accept that and keep 'haunting' you instead, too bad, he's not mature enough

PS: I like your blogs... feel free to visit mine :)

shakespeareheroine said...

Sentosa : Thanks for your compliment! Will vist your blog. Hope to see more of you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...