Lilypie

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Spring-Autumn (Or May-September) Romance : Is It Feasible?

During my random blog scanning earlier on, I came across one of my close girl friend's entry on a new era of love that shows a wedding between a young-looking guy with an old-looking woman. It could be that the guy happened to look young and the lady happened to look old with all the layers of makeup and hairdo in a wedding gown. Anyway, she and her husband both felt that why would the groom, with all his good looks, marry a woman who looks middle-aged?

There have been many debates over this May-September romance. Strangely, no one will make a big deal if it is a much older guy with a much younger woman, yet everyone makes a big fuss if it is a much older woman with a much younger man. Does age really plays a part in love and relationships? Especially love between an older woman and a younger man?

There are many examples how love can survive between an older woman and a younger man. Take Courtney Cox and David Arquette, or Madonna and Guy Ritchie for example. The two wives are at least 8 years older than the husbands. Earlier this year, my cousin who is my age got married to his girlfriend of 5 years, who is two and half years older than him. My ex-colleague married a guy 2 years her junior. Victoria is 2 years older than David (I am referring to the Beckhams, in case any of you are wondering.)

I guess in a conservative Asian society like ours, people still frown upon romance between an older woman with a younger man. All my guys are my age. I have not dated anyone younger than me. Even then, my mum was not happy. She kept on asking me why must I stick with young men, why couldn't I find someone older and more established? I always told her it's my choice who I want to be with. I go with guys who are gentlemanly and can stimulate me intellectually, not guys who are too boring and stiffy.

Younger men do not necessarily mean they are less mature than older men. In fact, my godbrother is 3 years younger than me. But I can carry on intellectual debates and conversations with him better than most other guys my age or older. My closest guy friends whom I have known from young are all younger than me (my age actually, but younger in terms of months). I can talk to them and get along better with them than guys older. Somehow I find older men more stiffy and boring. Or is it because I have not met many older guys?

Just like in recent weeks, I have met quite a number of guys. The one I can actually click with is younger than me. The ones I have rejected are all older than me. I find the younger guy more mature and interesting than the older ones, as all they do were to come on too strong and wanted a fling. This is speaking a lot on maturity level and shallowness. Ironically someone much younger can actually be more mature and sensible. So who says older men are better and younger men are more childish? Not necessarily true in my opinion.

So the question is : will I ever be involved with a younger man? Rather hard to answer actually. I can just imagine my mum having a fit if I bring home a younger man. Come to think of it, I am very tempted to do that, just to see how she will react. :-p But I suppose as long as the maturity level is there and we are compatible, think alike and able to communicate with each other, I seriously do not see that age matters. Afterall, I am choosing my partner for myself, not for my parents or anybody else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...