Lilypie

Monday, July 18, 2005

Faith, Hope And Charity

Do you know Sumiko Tan, one of The Straits Times premier journalists? Ever since the early 90s, she has her own column in Sunday Life, and I will always read her articles every fortnightly. In a way, I grew up on her articles. To me, she is the epitome of the modern single working woman.

I learnt a lot from her, about life, older generation, working world, problems faced by single women in society. She even published a few books on crime, ie "999 - True Crime" and "Sisters In Crime". Of course I have read both since I have been interested in criminology since young. I did think of becoming a crime reporter like her earlier days, or a forensic pathologist, then I realise I cannot stand seeing dead bodies.

Anyway her article in today's Sunday Lifestyle was on the charitable controversy of recent days. She said that NKF would give a personalised ten-page brochure like an annual report to ask for people's donations through mail. In contrast, the SPCA would give a generalised 1-page letter and ask for donations. Which would warrant bigger donations? NKF. Why? Because it is more eye-appealing.

I have been thinking, if NKF is rich enough to have massive marketing campaigns and promotions, does the organisation really need donations from the public? But then, as what was mentioned in the article, one should not forget what NKF was initially set up for - to help the poor dialysis patients have the best medical care and facilities. And if people really have the initiative to donate, they will still do so without all the brouhaha or colourful brochures and flyers around. Donations should come from the heart unconditionally.

Meanwhile, I think I will increase my annual donation to the SPCA, that is, after I secure a new job.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...