Lilypie

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Scrabble, Anyone?

I have recently started playing Scrabble again. For someone who used to be the Vocabathon champion in school, I had really lost touch with all the vocabulary words I used to know. This must be the result of not playing Scrabble since university years.

My Scrabble history started even way before primary school. My parents, in an effort to help improve my English so I would not lose out when I entered school, bought me my first Scrabble set together with a set of books consisting of vocabulary words. That was how I learnt English. Besides reading, I improved my spelling and vocabulary through Scrabble. Initially, I started playing with my parents, then my cousins, then I taught my brothers how to play, and also played with my friends. It was all thanks to Scrabble that I managed to win the annual Vocabathon competition throughout secondary school.

I have never thought of playing competitive Scrabble as I do not think I am good enough. If I am at least on par with my friend Sonic, then I may consider, but the fact is my standard is still far below his. Through the years, I have had three more Scrabble sets, but they have all either been misplaced or given away. So now that I start playing again, I have to resort to playing online. And I just lost 5 games in a row! I have really lost my touch. :-(

What makes me want to start playing Scrabble again? I have been contemplating playing Scrabble again, except I have not been able to find the right person to play with. As in most of my friends are not interested in playing Scrabble, and the only person I know who plays Scrabble is too good for me.

Then recently, my youngest brother got selected by his JC tutor to take part in an inter-school Scrabble competition. He says it was due to my coaching, but actually I believe his English is good enough to participate. But it is still heart-warming to know that I have been appreciated! So for now, I have to keep playing online until I am good enough to play competitively. Who knows, I may just take part in the next Scrabble tournament for next year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...