Lilypie

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Improving Vocabulary Through Scrabble

I just scored my highest ever score for a scrabble game - 506 points, with my highest scoring word "Squirm" at 51 points. I downloaded this Scrabble game from a link on Sonic's blog and it is really good! There are very comprehensive rules and regulations, and when you are stuck, there is a hint to help you along.

Through many trials and errors, I came across lots of words which I never thought existed. Well, this shows that you learn something new everyday. What a vocabulary-enriching session! Luckily I update myself with my friend's Scrabble news, otherwise I would never have known that "Ywis" is a word too!

But I am surprised that "Blog" is still not recognised as an official word in the Scrabble dictionary, or any other dictionaries for that matter. But I learnt words like Ars (yes, correct spelling), Coff, Ka, Dona, Ghi, Gox, Vim, Ut, Hm and Et. I am a regular at dictionary.com too, just to check out whether words existed. Once a geek, always a geek. Or shall I say once a bookworm, always a bookworm? Now I wonder if Mr Webster or Mr Oxford will want to update their collection of words.

Incidentally, I just heard from the Scrabble expert yesterday that there are 1,229 three-letter words in the Scrabble dictionary, not including common words like dog, cat, etc. Once I remember them, the game should be pretty easy. The problem is how am I going to remember all 1,229 three-letter words? Maybe that is why he can go for Scrabble tournaments all the time (another one this weekend, best of luck again!), and I am still stuck playing online or friendly games (and still losing!).

2 comments:

sonic said...

I believe it's 1229 3-letter words including the common ones.

If you want to learn the Scrabble words, make sure you use the right dictionary. OSPD, which can be found in bookstores, unfortunately is for US play. The one used in most places worldwide is SOWPODS or also known as OSWI, which unfortunately is not shipped to Singapore.

you may want to go to www.carolravi.com to download LeXpert, and if you select the lexicon for UK and North America combined, that is basically SOWPODS.

shakespeareheroine said...

Ooops, sorry, my mistake. Mis-read your message regarding the 1229 3-letter words thing.

Thanks for the tip! Will go check out the website.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...