Lilypie

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Discussing The Birds And The Bees

A friend asked me today if a guy can ever turn me on. Interesting question actually. Normally if anybody else asked me that (especially those desperate weirdos who are trying to get me out for flings nowadays) I would get very pissed, especially since it is none of anyone's business. However this friend of mine is always so serious, and we always get so involved in intellectual discussions, that I was actually not angry when he asked me the question.

My answer : No guy can turn me on unless he is my boyfriend. Even then, there must be a sense of control, as I will only go all the way with whoever will be my legal husband next time. Think me conservative or old-fashioned, but heavy petting and pre-marital sex for me is out. I will not compromise my dignity as a lady this way. But of course, unless the guy happens to be Legolas or Pei Yongjun or Brad Pitt in the buff, then that is another story ....... (fantasising)

My brother is disgusted over what I just wrote. He said how can I discuss issues like this so casually especially with someone of the opposite sex? Why not? It is a serious discussion, not bedtalk or any form of foreplay. I feel to really find out what others are thinking, one should discuss about everything. Although I suspect this friend may be trying to see if I can be his potential partner, but even then, I see no harm discussing issues like this.

My parents never discussed the birds and the bees with any of us. Whatever I know (as in sex education, not the actual act itself) comes from books, magazines and friends, both male and female. Whatever my brothers know come from me - yes, they do ask me questions relating to sex education. I feel parents should discuss topics like these openly with their children. What is so taboo or shy about it? It is natural for any kid to ask questions relating to sex, especially those hormonally-charged teenagers who are just in the process of discovering themselves.

By discussing sex education openly with the kids, they will know more and appreciate the parents for making the effort to inculcate wisdom in them. They will be less likely to think of doing the act all the time, and there will be less unwanted teenage pregnancies, or teenagers getting married, or abortion. Murder is already a great sin, let alone murder of one's own unborn child. The rise of teenage pregnancies, abortions and marriages became so alarming that the Ministry of Education decided to incorporate sex education into the secondary science syllabus in the late 1990s, and the upper primary science syllabus in 2003. Interesting to teach the kids actually, just to see the many reactions the topic will trigger.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...