Lilypie

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Are We Becoming Slaves To Electronic Gizmos?

Within a week, 2 people I know have lost their handphones. One dropped it in the restaurant where he had his lunch, went back to find it and it was gone; another put it on the table while talking to someone, and the moment his back was turned, the phone disappeared. I feel so sad that there are still dishonest people around.

If you have read Sonic's article on being a slave to his handphone, I can relate very well to it. I lost my handphone twice before. The same type of panic and drama unfolded that period of time when I lost my phone. All my contacts got flushed down the toilet (literally, as the girl who took my phone hid it by flushing it down the toilet). My then-boyfriend could not contact me and I had to use the phone in the staff room to call him. The trouble was he did not have a handphone then, so it was hard to contact him especially if he was out.

The second time I lost my phone the same thing happened. People could not contact me and I could not contact others, especially parents who wanted to call me for an appointment. As a result, they did not know when to drop by and see me and I did not know when they would be coming by. A whole lot of misunderstandings ensued.

We are indeed slaves to our handphones. Not just handphones, but computers, and nowadays PDAs as well. I had my first handphone only in 1999, yet now I cannot live without it. I had forgotten those days where I could survive without a pager or handphone. I started using a computer for school assignments as early as 1989, but once I had internet and email access in 1996, I cannot live without my computer anymore. I stopped writing letters and sent e-mail instead. I used to have several pen pals from around the world, but now we have stopped writing to each other and just e-mailed each other occasionally. I have yet to own a PDA, but if I do, it will probably be another electronic gadget that will take control of my life.

2 comments:

done said...

I'd have to agree to your post. My life has been taken over by technology. Where are the simple days?

shakespeareheroine said...

Yes, sometimes I wish for the good old days where life is not so complicated. Technology is supposed to help makes things easier for us, but somehow it has taken over our lives. Very sad indeed.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...