Lilypie

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Image Revamp?

I met up with a former NIE classmate of mine earlier on. He wanted to sell a mobile phone away, and since one of my friends is thinking of changing his phone, I decided to buy the phone from him and giving it to my friend. I have not seen him ever since we graduated and we have not spoken to each other except the occasional messages we sent each other.

I just realised today he got married in 2003. He is staying around the same area as my second ex-boyfriend, so sometimes we would take the same transport together whenever I needed to go to my ex-boyfriend's place. Imagine the number of changes within just a number of years. At the point of graduation, I was attached and about to get engaged, he was single. Now, he is married and I am single. What a twist of fate.

He remarked that he has not seen me for quite some time and I look so much better now. I admit I have revamped my image quite a few times ever since graduation. I can safely say that now that I am at version 6 of myself, I do look better than before. I now pay more attention to personal grooming and appearance, ever since I was dumped for an air-stewardess.

Now that I realise I can look good as well (I am NOT saying I am pretty, because that is not true since I know very well how I look), I want to maintain my image this way. Looking good gives me a sense of confidence. I became more self-confident after becoming version 6 - rebonded hair, contact lenses, more professional-looking makeup, painted nails, accessories.

I have attended grooming and etiquette workshops since young, but I have never really bothered to dress up. Before this version 6 of myself, my hair was wavy and frizzy and generally hard to maintain, I never really bothered with nail polish, and my makeup was very minimal. My girl friends were urging me to dress up more as they told me guys still go for girls who take pride in their appearance, especially since my ex-boyfriend became an air-steward.

I did not believe them as I thought my then-boyfriend and I had been together for so long, we have been through so much together, we had a connection, so our status was more or less secure. How wrong I was! Despite everything guys claimed, ie prefer inner beauty, rather have an intelligent and confident lady and so on, physical appearance still counts a lot. I truly believed only after I have been dumped for a pretty girl again.

One of my teaching colleagues once remarked, "There is no ugly women, only lazy women." To a certain extent, that is true. Imagine just a bit of grooming and makeup can transform how a lady looks. I may not look as good as those who are blessed with a pretty face, but now that I put in effort to look good, I realise I can look better than ever before.

And I really take pride in the fact that just a bit of time spent on my part for personal grooming can improve my image and confidence so much. So since I do not look so bad now, perhaps I can meet the right guy soon. Although I still profess that looks should not be a factor when considering whether to be in a relationship. What matters is the compatibility and the communication and the comfort you feel with each other.

Forgive me if you think I am singing my own praises, but I feel everyone deserves to indulge in self-praise once in a while. :-p

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...